Introducing the Past SimpleLevel: Beginner
- Past form, irregular verb.
- Possessive Nouns.
- Grammar recap, regular and irregular verbs.
- "Move" for changing one's place of residence.
Always watch the video several times without subtitles first. Train your ears! Your pronunciation will be much better if you follow this simple rule.
Exercises for this lesson:
- Listening Comprehension (1)
- Possessive Nouns (2)
- "Did grammar affirmative (3)
- Did"grammar negative (4)
- Did"grammar interrogative (5)
- A Short List of Regular Verbs in the Past (6)
- Move (7)
- A Short List of Irregular Verbs in the Past (8)
How to do the lessons:
- Watch the video without subtitles.
- Do all the Exercises.
- Come back to this page.
- Watch the video with English Subtitles. Use the Pause button. People speak fast!
Problems? See general support or ask your question here.
Introducing the Simple Past "Did"
Watch this video, then click on Exercise 1
Same video with Precise Subtitles
This is a very short clip, just to get started with the past simple and to present the grammar basics. The next lesson will provide us with a much more extensive range of verbs and vocabulary, using the same verb tense with regular and irregular verbs.
Marty and her daughter provide us with pure Americana. They are tourists in New York City, with accents reflecting their home in the southeast, in the state of Kentucky. They remind us of the Jones family from lesson 10.
We also find the present continuous tense used for a future action, one of its common uses.