Lesson 18, Exercise 2: Steven knows best because his father was German.
Watch the video, then answer the question.
How many Germans does Peter know?
- Not too many.
Look at the picture at the bottom of the page. According to Peter, the Germans 'appear to be' (seem) more "machine-like" than other Europeans. What's the best definition of "machine-like"?
- Like a machine: automatic and unthinking.
- Like a machine: irregularity of action.
- Like a machine: emotional.
Peter says the Germans are less emotional than other Europeans. If this is true,
- feelings are more important to them than reasoning.
- reasoning is more important to them than feelings.
- neither reasoning nor feelings are important to the Germans..
Peter also says the Germans are less outgoing than other Europeans. What's the best definition of "outgoing"?
- "Outgoing" describes someone who goes out, especially at night.
Steven admits that he is biased. This is very similar to
Why is Steven biased? Type your answer beginning with "Because..." !
- Because his father is German.
- Because his father is French.
- Because he likes the Germans.
Steve, like many other people in this clip, say that the Germans are efficient and well organized. If this is true, what is one result of their efficiency and organization?
- Despite the high prices of their products, manufacturing in Germany is still very profitable for the Germans.
- Despite the low prices of their products, manufacturing in Germany is unprofitable for the Germans.
- Given the high prices of their products, manufacturing in Germany is not profitable for the Germans.
Steve uses an idiom: "let (one's) hair down". He says that the Germans don"t let their hair down as mach as we do....
- Relaxed people let their hair down, but the Germans are serious.
- Serious people let their hair down, but the Germans are relaxed.
Adjectives: Like a machine: unthinking and automatic.
Tap on any word once (mobile), or double-click on any word (computer), to read an English definition. If you need an approximate translation to your own language, the Google Translate button is available at the top of the screen.