Lesson 42 - Exercise 6 - Pretty Good and Too Good!
- Click on ALL the correct statements:
- Pretty woman: pretty is an adjective because it modifies the noun "woman".
- Pretty good: pretty is an adverb because it modifies the adjective "good".
- Pretty good means average. Not very good; not very bad.
- Students usually go to school. Usually is an adverb because it modifies the verb "go".
- Regina says "I was definitely an overachiever at school". What is an overachiever?
- A person who achieves more success than expected.
- Just average.
- It's the same as an underachiever.
1 - pretty as an adjective: beautiful, attractive. Pretty modifies the nouns "woman" and "bird" in this picture:
2 - pretty as an adverb: To a fair degree; moderately. Example from the dictionary: a pretty good student!
For example: a "C Student" is average or pretty good.
"Good" is an adjective, but "pretty" becomes an adverb now because it modifies another adjective.
If you need an approximate translation to your own language, the Google Translate button is available at the top of the screen.