Lesson 42 - Exercise 6 - Pretty Good and Too Good!
1 - Click on ALL the correct statements:
- Pretty woman: pretty is an adjective because it modifies the noun "woman".
- Pretty good: pretty is an adverb because it modifies the adjective "good".
- Pretty good means average. Not very good; not very bad.
- Students usually go to school. Usually is an adverb because it modifies the verb "go".
2 - Regina says "I was definitely an overachiever at school". What is an overachiever?
- a person who does better than expected.
- an average student.
- someone who tries to do too many things at the same time.
1 - pretty as an adjective: beautiful, attractive. Pretty modifies the nouns "woman" and "bird" in this picture:
2 - pretty as an adverb: To a fair degree; moderately. Example from the dictionary: a pretty good student!
For example: a "C Student" is average or pretty good.
"Good" is an adjective, but "pretty" becomes an adverb now because it modifies another adjective.
If you need a translation to your own language, use the Google Translate button at the top-right of the screen.