What are the British like?The short versions of the videos
The long versions are here
- In addition to very useful adjective vocabulary, adverbs such as "otherwise" are covered.
- "Well" as adverb-prefix (well-educated, etc.).
- Difference between The British and TheEnglish.
- Synonyms and Antonyms. Part 1.
Exercises for this lesson:
- The British are fair
- Are the British reserved?
- Common stereotype "stuffy"
- The definition of "pompous"
- The opposite of naive
- A Synonym of horrible
- The source of what?!
- The United Kingdom of Britain
- Crossword Puzzle
How to do the lessons:
- Watch the video without subtitles.
- Do all the Exercises.
- Come back to this page.
- Watch the video with English Subtitles. Use the Pause button. People speak fast!
What are the British like?
Watch this video, then click on Exercise 1
Same video with Precise Subtitles beginning at 1:11
Which stereotypes are true? Based on my own experience of Britain, I am going to list the stereotypes I often hear, and give my own opinion.
1 - The British are reserved. A couple of the interviewees pointed this out. I think this is true. If you want to speak to them about something besides the weather, wait until you get to know them!
2 - The Brits are supposedly football hooligans. This is clearly an overgeneralization. A tiny minority of Brits are football hooligans.
3 - The British will form a queue (US: wait in line) in almost any situation. I have found this to be true. Unlike the French who are just the opposite, they queue at bus stops, airports, in shops, and in bars and restaurants in a strict manner, timed to the second according to order of arrival.
4 - The British drink more beer and other alcoholic beverages than people in other countries. False. The World Health Organization tells us that thier consumption is 17th in the world, just after France.
5 - The Brits are hilarious. They have an extremely sharp sense of humor (US) humour (UK). True!
6 - You can't get a good meal in London. And it's worse outside of London. False, thanks mostly to the huge quantity of ethnic restaurants of all sorts, you can find fantastic food in London. Also, a lot of pubs, including those outside of London, usually have one excellent meal on the menu.