Hi How are you - How's it going? What's your name?Level: Beginner
- Normal, Formal, & Informal Greetings.
- Verb be present.
- "What's your name?"
"My name is ___."
- Possessive adjectives.
- What's (his) name?
- (Their) name is ___.
Exercises for this lesson:
- Greetings: Mr. Matthews
- Greetings: Alexander & Sonoko
- Greetings: Chuck
- Greetings: Colonel Allthorpe
- Greetings and name: Jimmy
- Name: David
- Names, first and last: Silva Raker
- Names, first and last: Joe Clancy
- Name: Alan
- Names: Maureen and Raphael
- Video matching ("names" summary)
- Typing, with 10 mini-clips
- Vocabulary summary
- Grammar for real beginners: summary
Hi How are you?
Watch this video, then click on Exercise 1
Same video with Precise Subtitles:
In our first lesson, you will hear informal greetings such as "How you doin'?", and a recent version of the plural of "you", i.e., "you guys", in contrast to the formal greeting "How do you do?"
You will also hear all the more normal ways we greet each other. The diversity is real, spontaneous, like all of the spoken English you hear at Real English®.
This natural speech determines what we teach. There are no actors here. More importantly, there is no script. We begin with what we hear and the gestures and facial expressions we see in the clips. We are one with the interviewees, and with the communication in general.