How to Learn English by Watching TV Series and Get the Most Out of It?
Nowadays, the knowledge of English is especially relevant. Without it, no self-respecting company will hire you for a good job, it will be difficult to travel, play at an online casinos, or just understand the instructions for a household item. But when it comes to learning the language, many questions arise. So how do you learn a language? After all, textbooks are boring. Is it possible to learn English from movies and TV shows?
There are several ways of learning English: tutoring, self-study, speaking with natives, reading books in English, learning English from talking, and watching TV shows, movies, and TV series. The last option is the most interesting. In this case, you can kill two birds with one stone: both learning and having fun.
In this article, we will tell you how to learn English from TV series, which ones to watch to learn the language faster, and how to do it quickly and effectively.
Why Learn English With the Help of TV Series?
It would seem that watching movies is a useless activity. But, no. For some people, listening to the interesting dialogues of their favorite characters is much more enjoyable than sitting through a tedious lecture. Here are a few reasons why you should watch your favorite movies to learn a language:
- Entertainment. It is a hobby and a learning experience, two - in - one. You watch your favorite movie and learn, isn't that fabulous?
- Expand your vocabulary. This practice helps you learn modern English, with all the slang and turns of phrase. In textbooks, as a rule, the language is only literary.
- Understanding the "living language" by ear. Sometimes, even knowing a foreign language at the highest level, it's difficult to understand its native speakers, because of the difference in accent.
- Beautiful pronunciation. Watching soap operas we understand more about the pronunciation of native speakers, catch the rhythm, intonation, and new sounds. Pronunciation can be trained in different ways, for example, by selecting an interesting piece of monologue or dialogue and repeating after the actors.
- Learning and understanding another culture. Series give you the opportunity not only to learn new vocabulary but also to understand another culture. Especially relevant for those who plan to travel or study in another country.