Lesson 16 - Hayles and the Colonel - Exercise 29
Watch the video. Read the subtitles.
The Colonel makes a distinction between
- individual French people and the French in groups.
- the charming French people, and the good cooks.
Hayles uses a superlative
. He says that the French are the most civilized people in the world
- is very fond of the French.
- doesn't like the French.
Colonel Allthorpe lives in France a few months each year. He has French friends. He says that they are "individually extremely charming".
Charming people are
- delightful or attractive.
- inhibited or reserved.
- fun-loving and easygoing.
Colonel Allthorpe says that "collectively", some French people are "difficult".
An example of "collective difficulties" in France are:
- the many strikes and demonstrations.
- the international events in Paris and Cannes.
- the big parties they have during their vacations.
© The Marzio School and Real English L.L.C.
Real English® is a Registered Trademark of The Marzio School. All rights Reserved.